Years ago I read this letter in which Robert Heinlein gives away ideas to a fellow writer. I also keep a notebook of ideas, which I revisit every now and then. Some of these ideas I work on, others I save for another day. I’m sharing many of these today. I don’t consider my ideas on par with Heinlein, and they aren’t that fleshed out. If any strike your fancy, feel free to write them. Or treat them as prompts to practice. Or just laugh at my moronic ideas. Whatever dude.
- An early teen speaks only in lyrics. Why? Maybe due to trauma, maybe because music helps him relate to the world. Maybe she’s an eccentric genius.
- Society in which politicians are the lowest class, and people campaign for the opposition to avoid being elected (and thereby disgraced).
- Man bases all decisions on a magic 8 ball. Leads him to a high-level role (in the mafia? Politics? Business?), where he has to work to hide the secret of his success.
- John Brown is alive and living in Oklahoma. I have nothing more on this. It struck me as a great title. Maybe not.
- Society in which the rite of passage is swapping organs with peers. Society believes that it generates a communal feeling since parts of you are literally in other people.
Any great ideas you want to offer up to the great sea of writers out there?
- Grumbles from the Grave by Robert A. Heinlein (edited by Virginia Heinlein) – Book Review (edraby.wordpress.com)
- Follow Heinlein’s Rules to land big book deal (inventingrealityeditingservice.typepad.com)
- RemovingTheShackles – What Do You Create? – 24 September 2013 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)